Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Little Pear Tree that Could

When I was growing up, we had a HUGE pear tree in our yard. That pear tree always served as home plate when we played ball or home base for tag.

I remember my father would give all the pears he harvested to my uncle because we very seldom ever ate them. (Hmmmm....why didn't we eat them?)

When I was in high school, my father & brother decided to chop down the pear tree. I honestly don't know why they did this. (Maybe it was too much of a hassle dealing with so many pears?)

When we bought our home 11 years ago, there was a small pear tree in the yard. You cannot imagine my delight at seeing that tree! I guess all the childhood memories came back to me of playing in the yard & always having a pear tree standing tall alongside us.

About 7-8 years ago, in early fall, there was a wicked thunderstorm that split our poor little tree in half. My husband wanted to take it down, but I refused. No way was he taking out my little pear tree!

Somehow, this little tree still managed to thrive & bear fruit. Delicious, juicy fruit at that. Somehow, over the past years, without our even knowing it, it has grown a new tree alongside what is left of the old one.



Can you see that the trunk looks old to the left, yet new to the right?



Lots of sweet, juicy pears.



I think we're just about ready to start picking. I am so grateful that we didn't tear this tree down after that thunderstorm. It's kinda funny, but it has become the "little pear tree that could" and I cannot wait to enjoy its bounty!

Gina
Gina

Welcome! I'm Gina. Like the header says, this blog is all about home, food and life..

11 comments:

  1. Wow, that is one resilient little tree! I bet the pears are much better than store bought ones too!

    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and for the kind comment on my headboard:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story. We had a pear tree in our backyard and I don't think it ever bore fruit! What a story about your New/Old tree! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a kid I used to think pears were disgusting... something with the texture, too mushy and gritty. It just wasn't my thing. Then I married the hubs and besides bananas (yuck, I don't like bananas) the only other fruit he liked was pears. It took me years of him gettin' down and sloppin around on a juicy pear before I decided to give it a try, and holy cow it was like I couldn't get enough! Now, I'm pretty much all about them! So lucky you have a tree!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I wish I lived closer, would love to have some pears.. I have a lemon tree and I think this year I'm going to have some

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh..how good those pears are going to taste!! Love the close up shot .....have a great week Gina.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is just something about the shape of a pear, it is really beautiful. Great story Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful Gina. I love pears, my favorite fruit actually. You sure have lots of pickens there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful to have a pear tree in your very own backyard!
    Blessings,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gina, I just found your blog from Dee at A Lapin Life and I've really enjoyed reading your posts! I've got to try making my own caprese salad (I love tomatoes ;) ), the ruffled lampshade is sooo cute and I love the updates you did in your daughter's room.

    I hope you get lots of pears soon- that is so awesome to see the tree trunk.

    Have a great week! ~ Yvonne (a new follower)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to have a pear tree. It rewarded you for not chopping it down!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww Gina, what an sweet story. I'm so glad you fought for you little pear tree. It sure is full of beautiful, tasty fruit. I LOVE PEARS. Enjoy my friend.

    Hugs and Kisses,
    ♥Ana

    ReplyDelete

My Blog Designer- Linda

Follow Along On Instagram