Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Revival of the Bench

I've always got a long story to tell, so please bear with me a bit.

My in-laws have always had beautiful furniture. My mother-in-law (whom I miss dearly) would very seldom ever buy anything she saw in a showroom. Her furniture pieces were mostly custom made.

When my husband & I were first married, we bought his childhood home from his Mom & Dad. They were building a new home & they left us some of the furniture that they weren't going to use.

We inherited their old kitchen table, chairs & bench, which were custom made & so darn heavy. Granted, this was not my style at all, so we bought a new set immediately. For some unknown reason, we still kept the old set in the basement. For big parties & holidays, we would bring up the extra chairs & the bench for additional seating. Having the extra set in the basement proved to come in handy.

This summer, I had an epiphany. What if I used the old bench with my current dining room set? (This set is not the one I purchased as a newlywed.)



Hey, not too bad. She certainly goes with my table.

Ok, but she is slightly beat up.


(Excuse that photo, I must have been doing jumping jacks while taking it.)

Hey, I know! What if I covered her with a slipcover?

Oh yeah, I don't sew. :(

But my Aunt does & maybe, just maybe, she'll make a slipcover for me!







Oh Aunt Genevieve, you are the best!! I was absolutely awe struck when I saw it. It turned out much prettier than I even imagined.

I armed her with fabric & a general photo of what I wanted it to look like...nothing more. I guess I don't have to tell you that her version is one million times better than the one I showed her in the photo.   She's a perfectionist. 

Now, if I could only train my family NOT to sit on the bench for fear of them ruining it.  : D

Have a great day my friends and please don't forget to enter my UPrinting giveaway....see here!


Linking to: 

Fall into Fall at DIY by Design
Wow us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Open House Party at No Minimalist Here
Inspiration Friday at At the Picket Fence
Home Sweet Home Friday at The Charm of Home

Gina
Gina

Welcome! I'm Gina. Like the header says, this blog is all about home, food and life..

32 comments:

  1. That is fantastic Gina! Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina, the box pleats are too cute on the bench! I love the look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it is adorable. It looks so well with the other pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Gina (and Gina's dear Aunt Genevieve}! It's a Dream team collaboration! Beautiful!
    Can one be envious and joyous for a friend at the same time? That sweet slipcover changes the whole room!
    ~Lynne
    [w/L]

    ReplyDelete
  5. That. Is. So. CA-UTE!!!! I would have never thought of that...and I know I've never seen anything like it. The pleated ruffles are darling...makes me want a bench! And I love your dining room (what I can see of it anyway) it's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE it! I say rush right out and get a big old can of Scotchguard and soak the cover with it...no more worries about those monkeys with greasy hands! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great table and chairs and bench!! I love it and I reallly like that awesome crate in the middle of the table!! I have crate envy!! You decorated it great!! Have a good one my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your long stories. The slip cover looks fantastic. I love pleats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your new slipcover looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! It's beautiful! You and your Aunt are a good team!

    Have a great day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. That really turned out nice ! Love it !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the slipcover, what a wonderful idea! It is nice to have and Aunt that sew so beautifully. Laura, Cottage and Broome

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello I cam here via WOW ... your bench looks so cute and perfect... great idea ... I specially love the pleates.. they look so decent...
    Visit me if you can
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    Love
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute!!! And your aunt did a wonderful job making it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gina this project turned out amazing! Can I borrow Aunt Genevieve? I love the way your table looks all dressed up for Fall:) Hope your week is going great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely fabulous! Pinning this for sure! What a way to update and upscale a bench!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That bench cover turned out excellent! I love it- your Aunt has some talent there!! I think it's great that you brought it back into use. Just shows that sometimes the oldies are the goodies! I agree spray it with a good dose of scotchgard! Can't hurt! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You had me thinking it was going to be painted but this is far more interesting and good looking. Thanks bunches for visiting me. hugs♥Olive

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Gina,
    The bench goes perfectly with your dining table and now with it's beautiful custom made slipcover, well is absolutely beautiful. I love it. Great job Auntie Genevieve.

    Much love,
    ♥Ana

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gina,
    OMG! Your slipcovered bench is gorgeous! You may have started a trend. If I had room for a bench, I'd definitely do this. Your aunt sews amazingly!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been so busy with the kitchen cabinets that I missed this post, that is gorgeous Gina! Your aunt is one fantastic sewer!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gina, it looks wonderful! What a nice aunt you have!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this slipcover. I am featuring this tonight at my Fall into Fall party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and grab an I've Been Featured button. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gina I LOVE that bench and slipcover, what a sweet and talented aunt you have! Martina

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your slipcover, and I'd LOVE to have an aunt Genevieve! She ROCKS!
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  26. That looks adorable! Thank you for linking up with Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  27. I know this was posted two years ago but I just came across this post and am wondering if you have the information on the dining room table in the pics. I purchased one like it in 2006 and can't find the company name anywhere.....I need to contact them to ask advice in refinishing the top. Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Darci,

    I didn't have a way to contact you so I'm hoping you'll check back here.

    The table is by Broyhill, part of the Attic Heirlooms collection. We purchased ours at Raymour & Flanigan.

    Oddly enough, my husband & I refinished the top of ours last summer. The area around the edges looked so terrible, we had to do something about them. We were worried taking on this kind of project, but it turned out great and we're glad we did it!

    Good luck!

    Gina

    ReplyDelete

My Blog Designer- Linda

Follow Along On Instagram