Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Hunger Games

Like so many others, my daughter and I love The Hunger Games.  I became curious about the book last summer.  My daughter showed no interest in it at the time, so I went ahead and bought it for myself. 

At first, I was confused.  I kept thinking....what the heck am I reading?  What is going on here? 

But before I knew it, I couldn't put the darn book down!  I couldn't get to the store fast enough to buy the next books in the trilogy.  In time, my daughter decided to read them and became hooked.     

We saw The Hunger Games movie Friday night and might I just say....it was incredible!


At the start of the movie I was thinking, this is just not right....It's not dark enough...Katniss is smiling too much...they aren't going to be able to translate the rawness of the book to the big screen....how are they ever going to make us feel Katniss's emotions? 

In a short time, I was proven wrong.  They somehow managed to pull it off.  I think a great part of the success of this movie had to do with the genius casting choices.

 Jennifer Lawrence was amazing as Katniss.  I think she nailed the performance.


Woody Harrelson was the perfect Haymitch.


When I intially heard that Cinna was going to be played by Lenny Kravitz, I was wondering what the heck they were thinking.   After watching the movie, was Lenny Kravitz the correct choice?  Absolutely!   


Elizabeth Banks was spot on as Effie. 


I really enjoyed this movie.  However, if you see this movie and have not read the books, be prepared.  There is blood, there is gore and it is brutal at times.  It is by no means a light movie. 

That being said, I thought it was an excellent movie and yes, I did cry.  The whole part with Rue just sent me over the edge. (Yeah, go ahead and laugh.  I'm used to it.  My kids tease me all the time about crying at movies.) 

Gina
Gina

Welcome! I'm Gina. Like the header says, this blog is all about home, food and life..

15 comments:

  1. my young kids are begging to see this....I think just for teens. really is all the rage in the schools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep hearing about this but still have no idea what it's about! Might have to buy the books.

    No shame in crying at movies, I do it all the time, actually I can cry at just about anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gina,

    My kids have not asked to see it yet. I'm sure they will soon.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds interesting. Certainly causing a big stir here. Thanks for sharing. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend and I were discussing how had we missed reading these books and only heard about them because of the movie. We are planning to buy the books and read them before seeing the movie. Thanks for you positive review. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi lovely lady.
    This sounds like a great book.! Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my Spring Tablescape so sweet of you. I hope you have a wonderful week with your family.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not had time to read the books but I understand they are excellent. I am glad you liked the movie. Sometimes it is disappointing to watch a movie after reading the books because they don't do the written word justice. xo Diana ps. I cry at movies, too. Heck, I even cry over those Hallmark commercials-

    ReplyDelete
  8. The movie was incredible. I hadn't read the book before seeing the movie, but now my daughter and I are reading it. I had no idea what the story was before I went to the movie. Imagine my surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We should be movie buddies then. I cry. At everything.

    Read all the books, have not made it to the movie yet!

    Glad you gave it such a good review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Son went with his friends Friday night, and LOVED it too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Gina, I have not read the books, but all of my kids have and loved them. I thought at first they sounded morbid. I'm sure, just like anything else, you need to read to understand. Thinking I might read before going to see. I just wanted to let you know that I am featuring your darling Easter Vignette on Share Your Cup Thursday later today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so excited to see the movie. As soon as the hubs gets back he's gonna take me... date night! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm afraid I'm just not with it, Gina. I haven't read the book or seen the movie but it sounds from all the comments that everyone agrees with you about it. Glad you enjoyed it with your daughter. Now, I've got to take some time and go see it.-------- Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  14. There certainly is quite a buzz around this movie. So far, everything I've heard is positive. ;)

    Hope to see you at Time Travel Thursday this week. Stop by tonight, and see yourself featured.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  15. My daughter got my hubby and I hooked. She is now reading the last book and my hubby is on the second one...I feel I don't need to read them because between both of them telling me every five seconds what is happening in total detail well it feels like I'm reading them too...Hee, hee, hee. We went to see the movie last Saturday and thought it was awesome. Can't wait for the rest to come out.

    Hugs and Kisses,
    ♥Ana

    ReplyDelete

My Blog Designer- Linda

Follow Along On Instagram