Monday, September 15, 2014

Sweet Zucchini Cupcakes

I don't know if it's only me, 
but have you noticed that zucchini is getting a big boost
in popularity lately?

For some reason, I keep seeing recipes 
dedicated to this green squash everywhere.  

I have always liked zucchini, 
well...mostly breaded & fried, 
and as I get older, I'm finding I like it other ways as well.

I have enjoyed this recipe for a few years now 
and thought I would share it with you today.

I believe the recipe came from Everyday Food magazine.  
Oh how I miss that magazine!

These cupcakes are so yummy
and the cream cheese frosting is a wonderful
little bonus that compliments the cupcake perfectly.




Sweet Zucchini Cupcakes

1½ cups all purpose flour (spooned & leveled)
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
1 zucchini (10 ounces) coarsely grated (1½ cups)
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting (below)

Preheat oven to 350°.  Line cups of a standard 12 cup muffin tin with paper or foil liners.  Set aside.  

In a medium bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.  Mix in nuts.

In another bowl, combine zucchini, oil, eggs, and vanilla; add to the flour mixture and mix just until combined (do not overmix.)

Divide batter evenly among cups.  Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.  (I find this was too long and baked mine about 25 to 30  minutes.)

Cool in tin on wire rack for 10 minutes; turn cupcakes out, right side up, and cool completely. Meanwhile, make Cream Cheese Frosting.  Using an offset spatula or butter knife, spread frosting on cupcakes.  The frosted cupcakes are best eaten within 1 day.

Yield:  12 cupcakes


Cream Cheese Frosting

In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, beat 4 tablespoons room temperature butter and 4 ounces room temperature bar cream cheese until smooth.  Add 2 cups confectioners' sugar and ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract; beat until light and fluffy.  Refrigerate until ready to use, up to 1 day.





Even my picky son, who will go to
great lengths to extract anything green
or remotely healthy from any dish I've made,
loved these, so please give them a try!

And yes, if you're wondering,
I am still dieting, but I do find
I can indulge every now & again, but 
still keep on track.

Have a wonderful week!


      
Gina
Gina

Welcome! I'm Gina. Like the header says, this blog is all about home, food and life..

12 comments:

  1. Oh, those look so good.
    This is the first year in a long time that we've not grown zucchini. I am missing it too.

    Thanks for the recipe. I'll tuck it away and give it a try one of these day.

    Smiles :)
    K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gina, these look great! I have made them before and added some crushed pineapple...Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. {{{ GINA }}}...so good to see you over at my place. Thanks for coming by and leaving words.:)

    These cupcakes look amazing...and bet they are delicious.
    Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Gina, these look wonderful and everything tastes better with cream cheese frosting!
    I love your Fall chalkboard design, too. Even though our temps are still warm here, I'm in the Fall mode.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever mom trick to get the minions to eat their greens! I love it, and I will definitely make these soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look amazing Gina! And a little healthier than regular ones... a plus!
    My oven died! Along with my dryer. Everything is old , 20+... not fun when they die all at once.
    Have a good night Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, Gina! Sounds great = we grow zukes so going to have to try your recipe soon. Great transitional tea snacks, yum. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love zucchini anything. These look and sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum.....those sound really good! You aren't dieting, you are making a life-style change. Well, at least that's what we are calling it around our home....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum Gina, they sound delicious Now my mouth is watering and I'm very hungry lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet those are good.

    The comment about your son
    cracked me up!

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. This recipe sounds amazing. I love everything zucchini! Thank you for sharing, Gina.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog Designer- Linda

Follow Along On Instagram