Wednesday, March 4, 2015

A Simple DIY Sideboard of Sorts

Hello sweet friends~
 March is finally upon us
and with any luck, 
it'll bring some Spring like weather to us all,
because man, this Winter is getting old!

♥♥♥♥

Anyway,
 I wanted to share a simple DIY for the Dining Room.

 If you're an avid reader of the old blog, 
you know I often share my dining room chalkboard with you.
I always saw a major problem with my chalkboard and
you may or may not have noticed it yourself.

The chalkboard is hung on a fairly good sized wall,
with no furniture underneath it,
so I always felt as though it was "floating" in space,
with nothing to ground it.

I always wanted to add a sideboard or buffet,
but my husband was always against it.
He would give me a speech about how the last
thing we needed was another piece of furniture
in the dining room, or that it would be an obstruction and
  stick out too far & block people's ability to walk,
or how it isn't necessary to fill every available inch 
of  space with something, blah, blah, blah.

So, what is a girl to do?

 Get creative & improvise something with
a narrow depth!

Ikea shelf to the rescue,
along with some brackets, 
just because.


Then, 
I got some fabric & sewed a simple skirt,
added some pretties....


and the chalkboard no longer floats!  


See?  Simple is good!

And now I want to officially declare-----

if I MUST see nothing but Winter whenever I look outside,
if I MUST freeze whenever I step outside,
then I MUST refuse to see Winter inside as well.

Spring decorating here I come!!!


 
Gina
Gina

Welcome! I'm Gina. Like the header says, this blog is all about home, food and life..

19 comments:

  1. Way to go!
    Looks nice, and it looks like it takes up very little floor space.

    I read recently, that chalkboards are not longer popular... well, they are with me, and I love your!!

    Have a great day!
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I would never have thought of that. Look how cute that is. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How flippin cute is that!!!!! You are just to clever.

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so adorable!!! Good idea....what do men know anyhow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea ! You rocked this idea! Love it my friend !

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever solution to your problem, Gina. The whole area just looks so great. I'll bet you've already starts on that Spring decor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! It looks pretty and gives you a fun spot to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you asked what to do I was going to say "find another husband" ahahahah (he can email with his deepest thanks later because I didn't ;))... AND... I happen to agree with him.

    Your home has a magical energy because each piece is just right, in the right place and somehow outstanding because it isn't crowded by 10000 pieces - big and small - nearby.

    I always love it because it looks "complete" without that "oh my, did you got all this from your Aunt Maud today?" (;) if you know what I mean).

    I like the shelf, and even feng-shui (you can use this with dear hubby on a later occasion) says that for good energy, things shouldn't look out of place or "just" hanging. And shelves, small and tasteful (like yours!) are welcome.

    With the skirt it looks a very feminine wink to the husband, a kind of "didn't I tell you something was missing here?" wink. And everything, once again, is so perfect and harmonious.

    Oh, Spring is coming. I need to catch up the fever. This and that always make us happy, doesn't it!?

    Enjoy and Have Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant!!! What a great idea! it gives you just the feel you wanted, a place to display some things and adds wonderfully to your chalkboard! What could be better than that! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super idea!
    I really like the skirt.

    Hopefully your snow will melt soon and the grass will peek out.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Gina! Oh, you are the smartest and most creative one! I love this and that you put a skirt on the shelf! How brilliant! It all looks so nice. I can't believe I'm going to say this but I'm so getting tired of the snow too. Where is all of this stuff going to go when it melts?
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Gina! Your buffet is so cute. You came up with the perfect solution! Bring on the spring decor!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gina, Very, very cute! I am decorating our new dining room and I get the same comments from my husband. Great solution.
    xx,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect solution. Necessity is the mother of invention you know :-) It looks great my dear friend.

    Much Love,
    ❤️Ana

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks so pretty, Gina! Totally cute indeed! Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for Spring! : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing idea to make the floating shelf look like a table.. pure genius I believe!!!! thank you for sharing, all your ideas are so inspiring, I am looking forward to seeing what will be next... Happy Easter to you and yours.. from across the pond..x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Old blog???????? Can we still look at it???? I LOVE to read blogs backward :^)
    Your table/shelf is very cool! Good for you!
    Blessings,
    J

    ReplyDelete

My Blog Designer- Linda

Follow Along On Instagram