Monday, April 11, 2016

DIY Kitchen Nook Benches

Hi Friends!  
I trust everyone is enjoying Spring!

Today, I would like to share how my husband & I 
made benches for our kitchen nook.

There are a couple of things I need to say first...

We actually built these last February. 
As in 2015.  
I have no idea why I took so long to share them with you.  

Believe me, we really have no talent whatsoever in
home improvement/diy/carpentry, etc.  
We were literally just flying by the seats of our pants.  

Let me first show you the before picture.  
I realize the quality of this picture is not the best, 
and I apologize for that.


I was so over the wood wainscoting, the table, the chairs...

So I talked my husband into building benches.
Oh he was ever the skeptic!
I guess this is because
we have zero talent for this kind of stuff!

So with me being the brains & him the brawn,
and a couple of tutorials to guide us along from:


we began our project....






Woohoo!  
1 down, 1 to go!

 I have to be honest here,
it took us 9 hours to build that bench.  
Stop that snickering, I can hear you!
Again, bear in mind, we have no talent.  None.


The second bench only took 2 hours to build.
See?  The learning curve is over.
We have experience now!  lol

Might I also add that you can see in the pictures 
that the plaster walls behind the wainscoting 
were not exactly fit for paint.
Luckily, I was able to find a solution for now...
paintable wallpaper. 

Are you ready for the pretty part?

The after picture:

 



So much better!
We can literally fit 6 people here now.
Who knew?

I did have to replace the fabric on the cushions
since the above pictures were taken.
Not because it wore out, 
but because I picked too lightweight a fabric and it was wrinkling, 
which drove me nuts!

The only heavy weight fabric I could find in red is
the one below. 
I will eventually replace that one too,
once I find something I like better.


Anyway, I hope you enjoyed our little diy.

There are some other changes
in store for this kitchen in the next couple of months and
I promise not to wait a year before sharing them with you!

Thanks for stopping by today.  

 
Gina
Gina

Welcome! I'm Gina. Like the header says, this blog is all about home, food and life..

20 comments:

  1. Gina, that space was made for benches. Great job! They look like they've always been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's some transformation, Gina! I am so glad you are enjoying it. It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW it looks great and you all did a good job. I love places like that in a home. To me they make a home more cozy and that I love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Gina, these benches look beautiful! No one would have ever known y'all had never built a bench before! I love the look so much! Such a sweet space! ;) Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, you and your hubby are officially DIYers now! It looks amazing. Paintable wallpaper is a great option.

    Warm hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gina,
    Oh, what an adorable "benched" Kitchen Nook, dear friend!
    Now, that the learning curve is over and you two are experienced. . .
    the sky is the limit!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Gina- you guys did a wonderful job. I can completely understand why the first one would take a while and the 2nd would be faster. Dan and I go at things the same way. I think the paintable wallpaper is a brilliant idea. Saves a lot of time on reworking the walls. I like the fabric and colors. This is cute and functional- a win win!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Gina, for you saying that you two have zero talent, the benches and the nook transformation prove you have awesome talent. I'm so impressed, and it all looks so pretty. Thanks for sharing the beauty with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "we have zero talent" she says ;)
    Imagine if you had. Those most-hyped couple Chip and someone should tremble in their battered boots ahahahahahah
    It turned out fantastic Gina! I love it!!
    Bring more non-talented diy will you? Much appreciated!
    Love,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Gina, one question? Are you and your hubby available to come to Boston and do this to my kitchen?! Wow! It looks awesome! I really love it!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome job Gina! The benches are darling. I bet you are so glad your hubby is handy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did an amazing job. There is NO way my husband and I could accomplish that.
    We have zero skills!
    Enjoyed this so much.
    I hope you will share this tomorrow at Thoughts of Home on Thursday.
    We would love to have you.
    Just stop by my blog to join in.

    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks amazing! What a gorgeous project. xxx Maria

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your DIY project!! Great job! It seems to just make the space so cozy and makes more sense. I love love it!!! Have a great day my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job. You guys did a fab job.
    I'm sure it is much better now.

    Not being picky here but I did like
    the red items above the window. :)

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, Gina- what a transformation! I like that batten and board look - sure looks nice.

    Well done, it's difficult to do things like that and get it perfect.

    You two can be very proud of yourselves!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gina, your benches look great! I have been wanting to build a banquette in our breakfast area for years. This has got my wheels turning again! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your breakfast nook is the cutest! So vintage. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete

My Blog Designer- Linda

Follow Along On Instagram